10 Best Handheld Massager for Knots To Relax Muscles in 2019
If your neck feels knotted up, chances are you are going to need the best handheld massager for knots. That’s because a massage is more than just an indulgence. A good massage can target muscle and tendon junctions that are notorious to ache and pain from time to time. That’s not all – the best thing about a massage is you don’t need a full body rubdown to get its feel-good effect. Now, you can get massage in the comfort of your home with a handheld massager. We recommend Pure-wave CM7 Cordless Massager when your neck or beck feels knotted up.
There’s a reason why people feel chilled out after a massage, and that’s because a good massage can promote relaxation throughout the entire body. But, only if it’s done right, that is by the best handheld massager. Those folks who are thinking of getting themselves a handheld massager have come to the right place because this is going to be your guide to getting the best handheld massager to take away those aches and pains.
- 1 10 Top Rated Best Handheld Massager for Knots
- 2 10 Best Handheld Massager for Knots Reviews
- 2.1 1. Body Back Buddy Self Massage Tool
- 2.2 2. Thumper E501 Percussive Massager
- 2.3 3. iHausPlus Double Head Massager
- 2.4 4. PureWave CM7 Massager
- 2.5 5. Bruntmor Premium Super Wave Massager
- 2.6 6. Brookstone Max 2 Dual-Node Percussion Massager
- 2.7 7. Naipo MGPC-5000 Massager
- 2.8 8. TheraGun G2PRO Professional Massager
- 2.9 9. Thumper Maxi Pro Professional Massager
- 2.10 10. Wahl 4290-300 Deep Tissue Percussion Massager
- 3 What is a Handheld Massager and its Types?
- 4 How to Use a Handheld Massager for Knots?
- 5 Do Handheld Massagers Really Work?
- 6 How to Choose the Best Handheld Massager for Knots?
- 7 Benefits of Handheld Massager for Knots
- 8 Get Muscle Relief from the Best Handheld Massager for Knots
10 Top Rated Best Handheld Massager for Knots
Finding the right handheld massager is not going to be easy. For your convenience, please take a quick look at the comparison table given below to find the perfect handheld massager for you.
|Picture||Handheld Massager||Massager Type||Price||Our Rating|
|Body Back Buddy Self Massage Tool||Trigger Point||$|
|Thumper E501 Percussive||Percussion||$$$|
|iHausPlus Double Head Massager||Percussion||$|
|PureWave CM7 Massager||Percussion||$$$|
|Bruntmor Premium Super Wave Massager||Percussion||$|
|Brookstone Max 2 Massager||Percussion||$$$|
|Naipo MGPC-5000 Massager||Percussion||$|
|TheraGun G2PRO Professional Massager||Vibration||$$$$|
|Thumper Maxi Pro Professional Massager||Percussion||$$$$|
|Wahl 4290-300 Deep Tissue Massager||Percussion||$|
The interactive comparison table has 5 columns which are:
• Handheld Massager pictures
• Brand and model name – (click to view more details or to purchase)
• Massager Type
• Price – These are approximate prices on Amazon.com. Here is the price legend.
- $ = under $50,
- $$ = $50 to $100,
- $$$ = $100 to $150
- $$$$ = $200+
• Rating – These are our ratings on a 1 to 5 scale.
Now that you have seen what is available, let us take a quick look at the reviews of the best handheld massager for knots.
10 Best Handheld Massager for Knots Reviews
It’s time you said goodbye to annoying knots and niggles. Since it’s all about finding the best handheld percussion massager, here’s a list of our top picks for the best handheld massagers you can buy.
1. Body Back Buddy Self Massage Tool
If you’re looking for a simple to use massager that is able to deliver an effective massage for pressure points around the body, then the Body Back Buddy Trigger Point Therapy Self Massage Tool should be right up your alley. The Self Massage Tool is considered to be the best back handheld massager without a motor. That’s right. Even though this handheld massager is fully operated by the user it is just as effective when it comes to opening knots in pressure backs around the back. The Body Back Buddy Trigger Point massager works by the user applying some force while holding the self-massage tool in a certain position. This massage tool can be held in various positions to come in contact with the various pressure points in the back area. The handheld massager is an I-shaped beam that features an S-shape curve on both ends. The large curve at the top of the massager is used for the back area. The massager also features 3 ball-like smooth spheres, which are used to massage trigger points. The two handles fixed on the main beam enables the user to control and maneuver the massager during the massage process. The curved bar can also be used to massage the arms, neck and abdomen area as well. While the massage tool has been designed using polypropylene, it does not contain any harmful chemicals, phthalates, and is free from PDA. The massager is perfect for physical therapy and sports recovery.
2. Thumper E501 Percussive Massager
The Thumper E501 Percussive handheld massager delivers both in style and functionality. This particular handheld massager has been specifically designed to penetrate deep in the muscles on an area that is particularly painful or uncomfortable. The percussive massager is ideal for holding in place at the desired location for at least 20 to 30 seconds, rather than moving or sliding around large muscles like other massagers. In this way, the E501 is considered to be quite effective when it comes to being used on large muscle groups, especially for those looking to improve their circulation. The Thumper E501 Percussive handheld massager features two rotating heads that are also interchangeable for ease of use.The user can control the speed of the Thumper E501, which can deliver 20 to 40 pulses per second. The E501 is also a bit on the heavy side, weighing 3 pounds, but that doesn’t hinder its ability to soothe even severe knots in the muscles. Thanks to its deep penetrating capability, the Thumper E501 is recommended for athletes as the best handheld deep tissue massager.
3. iHausPlus Double Head Massager
The iHausPlus Double head massager has been brought to you by Whole Solutions Group, a brand that’s considered to be one of the best manufacturers of premium handheld massagers. Specifically designed for deep tissue massage, the iHausPlus massager is not your regular handheld massager. The massager comes with multiple speed settings and two head attachments that are interchangeable, so you can set it to get the perfect deep tissue massage experience. The massager is also portable, lightweight, and its ergonomic design means it can be easily be maneuvered during use, allowing you to effectively target specific muscle groups during the massage. This massager comes with a powerful motor that’s able to get up to 3,350 pulses per minute, so you are able to get relief from any tightness or soreness in the muscle. The iHausPlus can also be used for the neck, head, back, and feet, delivering an effective massage with deep penetration to alleviate any knots in your back.
4. PureWave CM7 Massager
The PureWave CM7 body and facial massager by Pado has a lot going for it. This portable massager is widely considered to be the best handheld massager for knots. The lightweight massager can deliver an incredible 3,700 RPMs, which is as good as it gets for anybody looking for a serious micro-vibration massage therapy session. What makes the PureWave CM7 a unique handheld massager is that it has been designed to deliver a massage by vibration and percussion. The CM7 is lightweight, cordless and highly efficient when it comes to delivering a great massage. This massager is also incredibly portable. It has been designed to fit comfortably in your hand and is easily maneuverable while in use. But, even that’s not the highlight of the CM7. This massager comes with six stick attachments for the body to deliver a full percussion massage experience. You also get a vibration face and head device, with face and scalp sticks, making it possible for you to deeply massage your temple area, jaw, face, and scalp, relieving any pain or discomfort in these areas. The CM7 offers excellent battery life, with a single charge lasting up to three hours.
5. Bruntmor Premium Super Wave Massager
When it comes to getting the best handheld massager for back and neck, look no further than the Super Wave Cordless Massager by Bruntmor. This handheld massager is perfect for relieving your aches and pains, and leaving you feel fresh and invigorated. The Bruntmor Premium Super Wave Cordless Massager is one of those devices you never think you need until you use it for the first time and find it to be extremely efficient, practical and affordable. This massager is cordless, which makes those hard to reach areas of the back easy to reach and get the full effects of this deep tissue massager. What makes the Bruntmor premium massager special is that you get complete pain relief and relaxation as you would at a professional massage. With up to six auto settings, Bruntmor premium massager allows you to customize your massage as you go – thanks to its bundle package that enables users to get up to 9 different attachments (of various shapes and sizes) to use during the massage. These also include round, pentagonal, and shiatsu heads to truly give you a deep tissue massage that’s both soothing and therapeutic. Bruntmor has always been known for making the best quality massagers, and its Premium Super Wave Cordless Massager is no exception. This handheld and portable massager gives you the best value for your money.
6. Brookstone Max 2 Dual-Node Percussion Massager
Whatever features you think the best handheld percussion massager should have, Brookstone Max 2 Cordless Dual-Node Percussion Massager has all of them. The manufacturers have left no stones unturned in making Max 2 Cordless one of their best handheld massagers yet. This portable massager brings you extra power for an extra powerful percussion massage that is able to penetrate deep within the muscles to get rid of any uncomfortable knots that are causing aches and pains. What’s surprising about the Max 2 Cordless Dual-Note Percussion Massager is that it packs quite a powerful punch while still being cordless. Coming towards the highlights of the Max 2 percussion massager, this massager comes with up to five selectable speed limits so you can adjust your massage sessions according to the intensity you prefer. It also entails a three-in-one massage program: soothing, pulsing and energizing – all to provide you with an ultimate massage experience. While the device is already lightweight, it comes along with dual handles for better control while you give yourself an incredible massage.
7. Naipo MGPC-5000 Massager
The Naipo MGPC-5000 is a handheld massager that features a single rotating head, unlike other massagers, and is undeniably effective. The MGPC-5000 provides a deep-penetrating percussion massage that’s perfect to make those aches and pains go away. This massager also comes along with three attachment heads that are easy to connect and take off. The Naipo MGPC-5000 allows the user to target various sets of muscles, joints and tendons. The user also gets to choose between various levels of intensity while getting the massage, including the depth of the penetration of the massage. What sets the Naipo MGPC-5000 apart from the rest when it comes to massagers is that it is ideal for improving circulation with the help of heat. The MGPC-5000 doesn’t do too bad in the design department as well with its sleek and slender build and ergonomic design that makes it easy to maneuver, pretty much making this the best back handheld massager.
8. TheraGun G2PRO Professional Massager
From a distance, the TheraGun G2PRO Professional Massager can easily be mistaken for an egg beater. But, it isn’t. This handheld massager is brought to us by TheraGun, one of the leading manufacturers of handheld massagers in the market today. This massager is the latest in the long lineup of massagers that are already very popular amongst the sports community. The G2PRO features swappable foam tips that are applied to tired muscles to help get rid of knots. While the design of the new G2PRO is in many ways similar to that of its predecessors, TheraGun has improved on its ergonomic design, making it easier to handle and thereby enabling it to deliver a powerful and soothing deep-tissue massage. With the TheraGun G2PRO Professional Massager, you also get four different placement angles, which makes it easier to use on the back. With the G2PRO, you get a standard ball AmpBIT and a large Ball AmpBIT; you’ll also get one Dampener AmpBIT for massaging the bone or other sensitive areas, along with a Cone AmpBIT for deep tissue massage. This new massager also supports a more efficient battery and comes with reduced noise levels, so the unit can last longer and doesn’t make much of a racket when it’s in use. The G2PRO can work for half an hour after a full charge. The massager is portable and lightweight, which makes it one of the best handheld massagers for the back and neck.
9. Thumper Maxi Pro Professional Massager
Originally designed for Chiropractors to warm up the patient’s muscles before soft tissue work, the Thumper Maxi Pro Professional Massager was adopted as a household massager after its ability to treat large muscle groups. This is a massager for the more serious people out there who need a handheld massager that gets them the experience of a professional masseur. The Thumper Maxi Pro doesn’t just have one or two, but eight massage spheres that pivot up and down around 30 times per second. With a variable power dial of 2100 revolutions per minute, the Maxi Pro is all business when it comes to delivering an incredibly soothing massage. This massager comes with a 12-feet power cord so you can get to those hard to reach areas of your back with relative ease. The Maxi Pro is a large device so you are going to need both hands to use and slide the massager up and down the intended area to get its soothing effects. If that’s not enough for you, the Thumper Maxi Pro Professional Massager has been designed with heavy duty poly-carbonate and rubber. The massager weighs around 7 pounds and has also been approved by the FDA.
10. Wahl 4290-300 Deep Tissue Percussion Massager
If you’re looking for the best handheld percussion massager, then the WAHL 4290-300 Deep Tissue Percussion Massager is definitely up there with the top handheld massagers. The WAHL 4290-300 is a portable, yet powerful electric massager that is able to emulate the same experience as a professional massage. The WAHL 4290-300 is able to do that by forcefully beating on the muscles with its four-pronged head, making you feel like you are receiving a massage from a real-life masseur. The rounded knob ensures that you get the soothing effects of a deep tissue massage. The pointed head makes it easier to break up knots while the flat disk distributes pressure across the area. The WAHL 4290-300 also features multiple speeds that are adjustable and allows you to customize your massage according to your needs. This massager has found to be especially useful for those individuals who are suffering from chronic back pain and are in constant need of relief. The WAHL massager is lightweight, portable and affordable. It also delivers as a percussive massager, earning it the final spot on our top ten list for the best handheld massager for knots.
What is a Handheld Massager and its Types?
One of the most important factors to keep in mind when deciding which handheld massager to choose is its type, as in, is the handheld massager electric, manual or infrared. So, what’s the difference? Let’s find out.
- Trigger Point —There’s also a non-electric handheld massager that does not require electricity but can be operated with various motions of the hand that work together with the especially designed frame of the manual handheld massager. This type of handheld massager is ideal when used on someone else, but you can also use it to effectively treat knots in the back or pains and aches in the neck, shoulders, arms, and legs.
- Percussion — This type of massager is normally lightweight deep tissue massager uses two independently rotating percussion heads to instantly relieve knotted, tense and tired muscles. Percussion handheld massager is powered through a cord or batteries. When purchasing an percussion handheld massager always make sure that it has a long enough cord. Percussion handheld massagers also feature multiple massage speed settings so you can choose the intensity of the massage. Electric handheld massages also feature interchangeable attachments, multiple heads, vibration, tapping or percussion massage options and also infrared heat.A handheld massager also comes in two types; the purely electric massager which uses a power cord, and a battery powered massager that requires you to charge a battery. There are also handheld massagers that offer dual function capabilities, meaning they can be used by plugging into power socket and by battery power.
- Infrared — This type of handheld massagers is used for infrared light therapy as well as for deep muscle massage. The purpose of this combination is to relax the muscles by penetrating the deep tissue using infrared light. An infrared massager is ideal for helping increase blood circulation and stimulating tissue repair, and is also highly efficient in getting rid of harmful toxins from the body.
Please take a look at the image below to identify the three commonly used handheld massagers of knots.
How to Use a Handheld Massager for Knots?
Whether we get knots through a lack of exercise or by working out, most of us will experience those uncomfortable knots in our muscles at some point in time. Despite our best efforts to keep our muscles nourished, a knot can occur. This will be a step by step process on how you can get rid of knots in your muscles. So, let’s get started.
STEP 1: Treat the knotted muscle with head to relax the knots. You can also use an electric or manual handheld massager. If you are experiencing a knot in your muscle, chances are, it’s an injury, which would require the use of an ice pack, or consultation with your doctor. But first, try this.
STEP 2: Take a hot shower that will allow the water to beat down the area before using your handheld massager to massage the knotted area gently. Try to get the best handheld massager for back and neck for the job.
STEP 3: Slide the handheld massager up and down on the area gently, occasionally keeping the massager in a fixed position for a few seconds.
STEP 4: After you’ve finished the massage, do some stretching of the muscle, which will keep the surrounding muscles from going tight.
STEP 5: Take a good muscle relaxer that is non-steroidal.
STEP 6: Start using a calcium and magnesium supplement daily, or eat a banana since muscles tend to weaken and knot if you have a calcium or mineral deficiency.
Please watch the video below on how to use a handheld massager for knots.
Do Handheld Massagers Really Work?
While there are those who would prefer a hands-on masseur to get a massage, the inconvenience and cost of getting a professional massage always makes people turn towards DIY methods, which are much more convenient and less costly, and offer pretty much the same results, if not better. First off, while a masseur can give a great massage, having an electric percussive massager rest on top of the area that aches sends vibrations deep into the muscles. This allows the muscles to relax without the painful digging of a masseur’s fingers into your back.
When it comes to the use of a handheld vibration or percussion massager, it’s also 10 times faster, depending on the motor when it comes to giving the massage. So, if a regular massage session by a masseur would take 30 minutes, using a handheld massager can provide the same effects after a few minutes. This ability to get a deep tissue massage when needed in the comfort of your home is the reason why many folks who suffer from chronic pain prefer to have a portable, handheld massager on hand. The benefits of having a handheld percussive massager is not just its ability to soothe aching muscles and tendons, but there’s a raft of evidence which states that a deep tissue massage can improve blood pressure as well.
How to Choose the Best Handheld Massager for Knots?
When looking for a handheld massager you would want to go for the best handheld massager for the back and neck. But, with so many options available in the market, making the right decision can be a tough nut to crack. Here are a few points to keep in mind when choosing a handheld massager;
- Design —The design is one of the first things that a person looking for a handheld massager looks at. While for some efficiency and practicality is enough, other more demanding folk, look for handheld massagers that aren’t just efficient and practical to use, but are also nice to look at. In this case, there are plenty of options out there by manufactures who have designed their handheld massagers keeping both style and efficiency in mind.
- Portability —Another factor that determines whether a handheld massager is worth the money is its portability. Remember, you are buying a “portable” handheld massager so it shouldn’t be very heavy or require lots of space. A good portable massager can easily fit in a small duffle bag and can be stored away to keep it safe when not in use. Choosing a lightweight handheld massager that can be easily operated with one hand means you won’t end up spraining your hand while trying to relieve the pain of your sprained neck.
- Cordless or Corded —This depends on your personal choice. There are many handheld massager brands who are offering massagers that can be operated with and without a power cord. If you are looking to get a massager with a cord make sure the cord is long enough. One other thing to consider when buying a cordless handheld massager is that a device that runs solely on battery will have limited functioning capacity, because the battery will eventually run out of juice. On the other hand, a corded massager means you don’t have to bother about using the massager for long periods of time, unless of course, the power goes out.
- Power Source —The power source of your handheld massager makes a difference on the level of mobility one has when using the massager. A corded massager means you can’t move around while it’s in use since you will need to stay close to the power source. On the other hand, having a cordless handheld massager means you can move around while performing the massage.
- Massaging Technology — Handheld massagers come in two types;
- Percussion: Those who need a massager that’s effective should go for a percussion massager since it uses soft knobs or ball-like spheres which penetrate deep into the muscles for better results. Apart from that, a percussion massager can penetrate the muscle without any bruising. It does that with thumps and strikes that are effective, but so not painful.
- Vibration: On the other hand, a handheld massager that just vibrates or kneads across the surface of the skin will not be able to penetrate deep into the muscle and will hence be less effective in getting rid of pain.
- Speed —The speed of the handheld massager mainly depends on the type of motor it runs on. While some manufacturers use a light 25w motor, other well-known brands in the portable massager industry offer powerful handheld units which are fitted with powerful motors to increase the speed of the percussion or vibrations (depending on the one you’ve chosen). That said – always buy a handheld massager that has multiple speed settings, which allow you to set the massage to an intensity you’re comfortable with.
- Bundled Accessories —This too depends on the brand. While some brands offer many accessories and add-ons along with their products, others offer fewer accessories, and focus mainly on quality. That’s not to say that big-name brands that usually offer many accessories do not deliver high quality products.
- Versatility —The ergonomic design of a handheld massager will determine how well one is able to use it. Versatile handheld massagers can be used on the back, neck, legs, feet and even on the scalp. So, it’s always best to read the description before buying a handheld massager.
- Warranty —This too depends on the brand. That said, larger and more well-known brands never shy away from offering warranties for their products. The most common warranty that’s offered is usually for a year.
- Price —The price of the handheld massager you choose will not determine its quality. There are many handheld massagers out there that cost $300 to $400 dollars, but are poorly designed. On the flipside, there are handheld massagers that cost around $40 and have been designed with the best materials, and are built to last. Like you should never judge a book by its cover, never judge any product by its price tag. As a rule of thumb, to get the best handheld massager for back and neck always read the reviews on the product before making a decision.
Benefits of Handheld Massager for Knots
Although there are many benefits of massage, but for those of you who are still on the fence, here are some benefits of getting yourself the best handheld massager.
- Relaxation — Getting a deep tissue massage leads to improved blood flow. This helps circulate oxygen and nutrients to all parts of the body, leaving you feel both relaxed and rejuvenated.
- Better Sleep —A good massage isn’t just good for lowering your levels of stress, but also leads to better sleep since your muscles and nerves are in a relaxed state.
- Quick Relief and Comfort — Having a handheld massager within an arm’s reach whenever needed is ideal for those who suffer from pain due to an illness or injury, and need quick relief. In such cases, a handheld massager is your best option, because of its instant soothing effects.
- Convenience — The only reason anybody who buys a handheld massager is because it allows you to have the freedom to use the device to get rid of aches and pains at your convenience. No need for booking and setting out time for the appointment if you have a portable massager at home.
- Cost Effective — Needless to say, going to DIY route when it comes to getting a massage by using a portable, handheld massager is definitely the way to go if you want to save the high costs of getting a professional massage, and then having to book an appointment whenever you need a massage. Besides that, you need to pay for the massage whenever you use the services of a masseuse, which can put a dent in your pockets. On the other hand, a handheld massager is a one-time only investment.
Get Muscle Relief from the Best Handheld Massager for Knots
Whether you are an athlete, suffer from head or body aches, or just stand on your feet for too long during the day, a simple massage can alleviate any pain or discomfort you may be experiencing. Getting a massage doesn’t always have to mean going to a professional masseuse and having a full-body rubdown. You can easily relax sore muscles and the painful knots you feel in your back by using the best handheld massager for knots. These handheld massagers, having been designed to replicate the movements of a trained masseur, allow you to get the soothing effects of a professional massage right in the comfort of your home.