Wondering if there are any best running shoes for flat feet that can help you alleviate your condition and perform better? Are you passionate about competitive running? Wish you could set the tracks ablaze just like your friends with arched feet? Are your flat feet stopping you from fulfilling your lifelong passion to become a world-class runner? Well, first things first, if you have flat feet, then give a high five and join the club – you are unique and extraordinary. Also, just because you have flat feet, doesn’t mean you can’t achieve your running goals.
You have the passion, the desire, the will-power to make history on the tracks; now all you need is the perfect pair of shoes. Did you know that there are shoes exclusively designed for flat feet runners? By selecting the right shoe, you can deliver a fiery performance and a good run to your peers? It’s good news but wait; the market is flooded with sneakers for flat feet and not all flat feet shoes are equal.
To spare you from the long and tiresome grind of finding the right shoe, browse through the top 10 best running shoes for flat feet comparison guide that we have specifically created for you. We are going to dig into what features make these shoes the best on the market but if you are a little impatient, super excited and itching to learn about these running shoes; then here is a snap shot (table) of the top 10 best running shoes for flat feet with brand names.
10 Best Running Shoes for Flat Feet Comparison Guide
|ASICS GEL-Kayano 20||8.5 to 16||D(M), 2E, 4E||$$$|
|ASICS GT-1000 2||7 to 17||D(M), 2E, 4E||$$|
|Brooks Adrenaline GTS 14||8 to 15||D(M)||$$$|
|Mizuno Wave Inspire 11||7 to 16||D(M), 2E||$$|
|New Balance 990V3||7 to 16||B(N), D(M), 2A, |
|New Balance 1260v4||7 to 16||D(M), 2E, 4E||$$$|
|Nike Lunarglide 6||6 to 15||D(M)||$$|
|Saucony Omni 15||7 to 15||D(M)||$$$|
|ASICS GEL-Foundation 8||7 to 16||D(M)||$$|
|Brooks Beast 14||8 to 15||D(M), 2E, 4E||$$$$|
The interactive chart above has 6 columns which are.
• Running shoes pictures – (click to view more details or to purchase)
• Brand and model name – (click to view more details or to purchase)
• Available sizes – inches.
• Available Shoe Width – inches
• Price – These are approximate prices on Amazon.com. Here is the price legend: $ = under $50, $$ = $50 to $100, $$$ = $100 to $150, $$$$ = $200+
• Rating – These are our ratings on a 1 to 5 scale. The ratings can be very helpful in deciding if people are satisfied with their purchase.
Analyze this chart all you want and then continue reading, we’ve good some great information compiled for you. Many runners with flat feet condition don’t really understand what’s happening with their feet when they run and why do they ache so much. We’ll educate you on this special feet condition, features to look for when selecting running shoes for flat feet, how to avoid injuries and maximize your running potential, review best running shoes and a lot more. Stick around…
10 Best Running Shoes for Flat Feet Reviews
So, you know exactly what to look when shopping for running shoes for your flat feet. But, like we said earlier, the market is flooded with choices, every brand claims to be the best. However, to make your quest of finding the perfect pair, we’ll be reviewing 5 best running shoes for flat feet that we think deliver what they promise, offer great value for money and more importantly, can help you maximize your running potential – smoothly transitioning throughout the strides while minimizing the risk of foot injuries. Shall we begin?
1. ASICS GEL-Kayano 20
ASICS known for its revolutionary range of running shoes, GEL-Kayano 20 is no exception. Ingeniously embedded with smart and cutting-edge technologies, Gel Kayano 20 is exclusively designed for runners with flat feet. Getting excited already? Well, you should be, because this shoe can help you steal the show and make normal runners eat their heart out and that is not an overstatement.
GEL-Kayano 20 is a powerhouse. It features ASICS patent FluidFit upper technology that combines the multidirectional stretch mesh with stretch reinforcements, lending fluidity and giving you a customized fit. Wait, there’s more! The FluidRide technology integrated in the midsole makes your stride super smooth and softens your landings. The Rearfoot and Forefoot Gel Cushioning systems are worth mentioning as they not only make the shoe cushier but also attenuate shocks during impact and toe-off phases, allowing your foot to transition gently through the gait cycle. And if you are curious about the support, well, let’s just say, it can be summarized in three words ‘Heel Clutching System’. This system provides runners excellent support, added comfort and keeps heels secure. Plus, the Dynamic DuoMax Support system provides enhanced stability and extra support.
Gel Kayano 20 is well-engineered, feature rich and stylish – truly one of the best running shoes you can get your hands on. And this is exactly why it makes the cut on our top 5 running shoes for flat feet.
2. Brooks Adrenaline GTS 14
The Brooks Adrenaline GTS 14 earns a spot in our best running shoes list for all the right reasons. It is well-rounded, super classic, provides great support and high stability-simply perfect for over-pronators. We think Brooks Adrenaline GTS 14 strikes a great balance of both cushion & firmness for a stability shoe. Runners enjoy a higher sensation of responsiveness and the new Caterpillar Crash Pad technology deployed inside GTS 14 provides runners excellent landing comfort. Its unique technology what they call the PDRB (Progressive Diagonal Rollbar) helps runners control the inefficiencies of overpronation. In addition to this, it is light and fast. It’s made of high quality material which makes it extremely durable but in terms of breathability, its average, typically because of the stitching and the flare on the upper side which prevents the feet from breathing adequately.
3. Mizuno Wave Inspire 11
This running shoe craftily amalgamates design with performance. If you are a moderate overpronator with style, then this running shoe will make great footwear for you. It is light, comfortable, provides strong arch and heel support with nice rear foot stability. It features a midsole cushioning compound which is 30 percent lighter than Mizuno Wave previous version which now provides Mizuno Wave Inspire 11 effective cushioning through the gait cycle, better ride and unmatched durability. You can wear these shoes and run on any type of terrain like roads, gravel and tracks. Its outer sole is carefully made from carbon rubber which provides traction which is quite useful in wet environments. This means you can enjoy running in the rain without worrying about slipping on the ground. We’ll say that with these bad boys, nothing can limit you – neither your flat feet nor rainfall. However, there’s one thing that Mizuno Wave Inspire can do better and that is the heel to toe drop. These shoes have drops that are relatively high which can sometimes result in heel striking. Besides this, Mizuno Wave Inspire 11 is a keeper!
4. New Balance 990V3
People make way for New Balance 990V3. This shoe is a jaw-dropper, designed to maximize the performance of flat feet runners on practically any type of terrain. It is engineered specifically to overcome overpronation and that too, fashionably. It has a classic design with a crazy universal appeal – a pair of shoes that can never go unnoticed. Additionally, the features it boasts provide runners with flat feet, equal opportunities to outdo competition and we mean it literally. Here’s a quick overview of the features we are talking about, the suede and mesh upper provides it outstanding breathability and a stunning visual appearance. Its patent ABZORB midsole and ENCAP technology enhances stability and promotes healthy gait. The soft and firm density foam inside the shoe offer unmatched cushioning, greater shock absorption and support that flat feet runners appreciate. It’s slightly pricey but in our opinion, the features and the design make up for the cost charged.
5. Nike LunarGlide 6
For funky runners with flat feet Nike LunarGlide 6 may be the best pick out of all. These shoes are vibrant, super light, comfortable and more importantly, engineered to minimize overpronation and optimize performance. It features Firm Phylon on the medial side for stability and support during foot-strike and Plush Lunarlon foam on the sideways for resilient cushioning when you transition and increase momentum as you pace up. Other features that are worth mentioning about Nike LunarGlide 6 are its thin bootie that provides a seamless interior, Dynamic Fit Technology that adapts to your feet and offers a glove like fit, enhanced breathability and updated heel clips for added support.
The Nike LunarGlide 6 nicely balances stability with plush cushioning offering soft landings and smoothest ride. What more can you ask for? Though it has everything a runner with flat feet is looking for but these pair of shoes may be slightly off beat for those with subtle and classic taste.
6. ASICS GT-1000 4
The new ASICS GT-1000 4 is a superb light weight shoe that offers with best support for flat feet. Even with few color options to select from, GT-1000 4 is best buy for reasonable amount. The upper unit is crafted out of cloth like material so your foot can move without much friction. Many professional runners also appreciate the vibrant colors offered by the manufacturers. The shoe offers with wide toe box built in to support maximum toe-splaying. The gel cushioned system acts as best shock absorber when running, specially designed for flat feet runners. Let us see the specs.
- Light weight with modified mid foot unit to regulate pronated foot motion for better control when running.
- It certainly is best options when speaking of running moderate distances especially during training sessions.
- The mid sole is designed from SpEVA material that offers with perfect bounce-back and flexibility feature for your fore foot.
- The criss-cross threads offer with maximum traction on multiple terrains.
- The upper is crafted out of flexible fabric hole mesh material that is breathable.
The tiger eye logo also connects eyelet row and mid sole reaching towards the back heel overlay. Reflective material is also provided at the heel and eyelets region. Manufacturers have used special soak liner foam that can easily be cleaned. The Asics also tend to have a toe-box that is not much wider but perfect for anyone who has narrow and flat feet.
7. New Balance 1260v5
The New balance 1260v5 is described as a perfect running shoe that offers with superior quality stability, smooth ride and easy toe-to-heel transition. So if you are looking for best stability then 1260v5 is the right runner shoe for you that can offer with high mileage. The new 1260v5 is enhanced for offering better cushion around the mid sole and fore foot area. The manufacturers have ensured that the deep medial post is not attached to the mid sole by using new improved shank maintaining its light weight. So, how do the specs stack up? Let us see then.
- Offers with superior fit making 1260v5 more stylish and trendy for everyday wear.
- The latest version offers with very stable ride for runners with enhanced mid sole that is a blend of stability and cushioning.
- Improved plush and seamless interior makes it an ideal for sockless running for people having flat feet.
- The N2 cushion technology is provided throughout the interior for better control and support when running long distances.
- The upper is a perfect blend of Fantomfit and breathable mesh making it an ideal jogging shoe.
The toe-box also offers with plenty of space for your toe and heel area. It lacks frills approach on the upper part to avoid fancy lacing or cumbersome saddle. 1260v5 still remains as premium quality shoe for runners looking around for comfortable and secure fit for fast transition.
8. Saucony Omni 15
The Saucony Omni 15 is definitely the latest trend in the shoe industry. It is recommended by many professional runners having flat feet for its comfort and grip. The looks certainly are visually endearing with conservative coloring offering it with ultra modern looks. The toe area also offers with abundance room for flexible and solid ride. With completely new overhaul sole unit the shoe is fitted with improved ever-run system with extra layer of cushioned material. The tri-flex system works perfectly as shock absorber for bouncy returns. Let us take a closer look at the features.
- The upper part is made up of Flexfilm that replaces the traditional mesh material making it more breathable and seamless.
- The seamless material also adapts perfectly to your foot offering it with best level of comfort when running.
- The toe-box is also improved and much wider with quality support frames in the heel region.
- The main fit system also tends to grip your mid foot firmly in its place for better and controlled movement.
- The upper fabric used offers with best ventilation for the interior chamber offering with intercool function.
Many runners with overpronated motion always praise Omni 15. The road shoe is well efficient, uncompromising and reliable to deliver best expectations. Even if little pricey, Omni 15 has proved to be excellent choice for runners in the long run.
9. ASICS GEL-Foundation 8
With affordable price tag, ASICS GEL-Foundation 8 certainly is considered as an excellent fit for flat foot. The shoe may be heavy in weight as compared to earlier ASICS versions, but still is very much serviceable and provides with excellent durability. It offers with extra cushioning and stability for better motion control. The shoe offers with Gel foundation for pronated foot strike. The upper is provided with extra overlays and traditional lacing pattern with tongue features to avoid lace pressure. In the sole unit the ASICS links the fore foot with the rear by an artistic shank to avoid excessive twist in the medial region. So, what is ASICS is offering in terms of specs for these shoes. Let us find out.
- The upper is covered with breathable engineered mesh lining that offers durability to the shoe.
- It is also equipped with comfordry sock-liner and cushion to reduce bad odor and moisture.
- Seamless upper ensures non-irritating and smooth sleeve for anyone looking around for sockless wearing.
- Mid sole is crafted from SpEVA ensuring sufficient energy returns with GEL system around the forefoot and heel region for best shock absorption when running or jogging.
- Special components like GT system (Guidance Trusstic) and DuoMax system for prolonged stability.
According to most runners, Foundation 8 is flexible and well-cushioned shoe. Professionals refer it as the best motion regulating shoe that offers with best response and smooth ride. The toe-box also has abundant room for wiggling your toe when in motion. The shoe is fit for average with wide and flat feet.
10. Brooks Beast 14
Brooks Beast 14 certainly is regarded as Monster of cushioning, stability and support by professionals. The upper part is a blend of fused overlays, leather and mesh material. Mid sole is crafted from EVA foam that is of quad-density and compressed molded. The plastic shank supports the 12mm heel drop with quality DNA Gel inserts. BioMogo foam also adds a lot more to its twin density medial post. The shoe is not considered as light weight as it is fully loaded with features for extra support and stability. The mid sole is crafted out of eight different components for better durability and control. Let us deep dive into the specs.
- Four foamed layer mid sole blended well in eight distinct components. The upper is also crafted out of best grade premium material that well justifies the high price.
- The mid sole is semi-soft with Red grey / Red white color scheme. Breast 14 is designed after been tested for four distinct hardness levels. The four layers offer with different level of hardness for better motion control.
- The foam used in the mid sole aims at reducing foot roll towards the inner side. The lateral side of the shoe is also provided with heel crash layer pad.
- The medial post is supported by the plastic shank offering with better stability at the time of motion.
- The fore foot area is much wider with huge outer sole offering the shoe a very wider looks.
The upper material used also adds extra stiffness that always compensates the firm density of the shoe. To avoid foot strike pressure, Beast 14 is equipped with DNA Gel –inserts. This ensures that the shoe is very soft when running or jogging. The rear foot is also provided with crash pad that is semi-segmented and grooved.
How to Choose Best Running Shoes for Flat Feet?
Before you spend your hard earned cash on a new pair of running shoes, then here is something you must know before you choose your new pair of running shoes for flat feet.
What Everybody Ought to Know About Flat Feet?
‘Flat feet’ is actually a medical condition where the medial longitudinal arch of the foot flattens and collapses because of which the sole of the foot comes into contact with the ground. In comparison to normal feet, flat feet have either low or no arch which is easily visible from the sides. The absence of the arch results in a host of problems which includes bunions, heel pain, plantar fasciitis, knee pain, ankle pain and sometimes even lower back pain. The severity of pain may vary from person to person. And more importantly, it also exposes flat feet runners to higher injury risks. Flat feet are also known by the names of fallen arches and pes planus. A good representation of flat feet is the picture on the left.
To understand this better, you should know that the arch of the foot is basically formed by metatarsal and tarsal bones. It is strengthened by ligaments and tendons. The arch helps the foot support body weight with an erect posture for minimum weight. Simply put, it plays a vital role in shock absorption. It helps alleviate the impact of body weight and helps with shock absorption, so now you can understand the cause of pain and aches when you run. As the cushioning effect is lost in flat feet, it exposes you to injuries due to the increase of tension from the knees, ankles, and hips and uneven shock distribution.
Some people have this condition since birth while there are some who develop it later in life. The development of flat feet condition in later stages of life usually occurs due to strenuous activities that lead to feet wear and tear.
A good way to visualize that you have flat feet is to do a Wet Test. If you have flat feet and you do a Wet Test, then you know what the imprint of feet looks like after doing the test. If there’s very little or no curve along the inside of your foot and your imprint shows a thick band a little less than width of the entire foot, then you have a flat foot. The picture on the left shows the outline of your flat feet after doing the Wet Test.
How do Flat Feet Pronate?
The arch height of the foot can determine better pronation but they can affect it as well. If you are new to this term, then you should know that pronation is basically the inward movement of the foot as it rolls smoothly to distribute the force of impact of the ground when running. This movement is critical to proper shock absorption, helping the body push off evenly from the front of the foot. The height of the arch can affect your ability to pronate causing either underpronation or overpronation. To be precise, people with flat feet experience overpronation.
Normally, the foot rolls about 15 percent inward when running, however, overpronation is when the foot rolls more than 15%. This means the flat foot and ankles have problems stabilizing the body and don’t absorb shocks as efficiently as they should. Overpronation puts greater impact on the muscles, causing stress & tightness which results in pain and increases the risk of injuries. To help you visualize overpronation a bit better, please look at the diagram on the left.
Not only that, for flat feet runners, this is often a big concern because overpronation means that at the end of the running gait cycle, the front of the foot pushes off the ground mainly using the big toe and the second toe, so they must do all the work. By sharing this piece of information with you, we don’t mean to give you the chills, but the purpose is to understand how your feet pronate when you run and what you should do about to ensure better shock absorption and optimize your running performance.
If you want to know more about overpronation and actually wish to see it in action, then please watch this video below.
Find the Right Type of Running Shoes You Need for Flat Feet
Overpronation doesn’t preclude you from pushing boundaries and setting your running goals higher each time you hit the tracks. All you need are the right shoes to compete like a real winner. When it comes to finding the perfect pair of running shoes, here are the 3 features that can make a world of a difference – high stability, motion control, and great support.
Stability shoes provide runners with low arches/flat feet a great combination of cushioning and durability. Stability is an important feature because flat feet cause runners to adopt a very dangerous posture especially in motion. Stability locks the feet and provides the runner a more stable impact when the runner hits the ground in stride.
On the other hand, motion control properties limits excess motion, keeping your feet in proper position which is much needed to avoid overpronation. And of course, good arch support helps compensate for the absence of a normal arch. It absorbs shocks from the lower limbs and lowers your chances of developing pain and experiencing injuries when running. Plus, it ensures that the gait is aligned and doesn’t cause undue stress on the heel or metatarsal bones.
Do You Make These Mistakes When Running?
Here are some of the common mistakes that runners with flat feet often make:
- Wear wrong shoes
- Don’t buy shoes according to their feet requirements
- Are often ready to compromise comfort over style
Making these mistakes can expose you to serious injuries and even cause blisters. If you continue making these mistakes you can damage your feet greatly. Read on to learn some great tips to avoid injuries.
How Can Runners With Flat Feet Avoid Injuries?
Yes, flat feet is a special condition but this doesn’t mean you need to sacrifice your dreams. You can become a top runner and inspire all those with similar conditions too. But of course, you’ll have to take precautionary measures more than the others, but you can enjoy the sweet taste of victory, that’s a promise.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Special conditions require special shoes. To prevent injuries you need to makes sure you have the right shoes engineered for flat feet. No compromising on this buddy! Like we said, flat feet tend to overpronate which not only impacts your motion but support and stability too.
- Watch how your feet move. As the foot moves inwards more than the usual it puts greater impact on the muscles, causing stress & tightness which results in pain and due to poor shock absorption which is much needed when running you put yourself at greater risk. The point is that there is no denying the fact that the risk of injury is higher in runners with flat feet. However, by wearing the right type of shoes you can lower the risk better yet can help you avoid injuries significantly.
- Give more preferences to features like high stability, support and cushioning over style and visual appeal. We know that when it comes to buying shoes the visual appeal of the shoe is something we then to focus more on than the construction and structure of the shoe. But if you wish to become a world-class runner with flat feet, then when you shop for shoes this time, you must pay more attention to engineering and technology embedded inside the shoe rather than rating it 10/10 on the looks.
- Pay attention to your condition which requires shoes with special features. With average cushioning and support, you’ll be exposing yourself to injuries and that is something you definitely don’t want. So, when buying yourself a great pair of running shoes make a checklist with high preference for features like cushioning, support and stability. Though there are shoes like ASICS GEL Kayano 20 that offer both style and performance but here price may be a factor. If you are willing to pay extra bucks, then with this, you can enjoy both.
- Rebuild your arches by performing simple exercises like toe curls. That’s right! You can build your arches over time and give them shape and height. If you are interested in rebuilding your arches then here’s how it is done. Place your bare feet flat on the towel 90 degrees above your ankles. Curl the toes gathering a ridge of the towel and then gently pull the towel towards you. Make sure you use all toes to scrunch the towel. Repeat it 10 to 15 times. It’s quite effective. Do it regularly for best results..
- Flat terrains with no unevenness and smooth surfaces are also a good way to minimize injuries and pronation. This tip is good for those runners who just want to enjoy running out in the sun with friends. But for competitive runners with ambition to compete in racing events, we say focus on the tips we’ve shared above and purchase shoes that provide traction for envious performance on any type of terrain.
Get Yourself the Best Running Shoes for Flat Feet
Remember what Rocky Balboa said, “It ain’t about how hard you hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. It’s how much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done.” Yes that’s right! Your flat feet make you different from the rest. We say brace the difference and get ready to inspire the world – all you fellow flat feet peeps out there. Let the world know that there is nothing that can bring you down or stop you from realizing your lifelong dream of becoming a top runner and enjoy running.
All we can say is that the right shoe can make a difference and help you achieve your running goals and perform like a real winner. You don’t have to put yourself down just because you don’t have normal feet. Browse through our top 10 best running shoe for flat feet comparison guide and reviews to find the perfect pair of shoes according to your needs and style.
In our opinion, if style and performance is what you need then ASICS GEL-Kayano 20 is a great choice but if you’re looking for a pair of shoes deployed with new features and has a funky visual appeal, then we say go for Nike LunarGlide 6. Though Mizuno Wave Inspire 11 is also a great choice but if you want a breathable shoe, then this may not be the best option for you.
A word of advice from us is to take time to explore your options before you make your selection. Evaluate and compare these best running shoes for flat feet in our list to make an informed and a confident decision. Good Luck!